Globe

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Shoes

My new runners arrived via post yesterday and it reminded me of a quote from the "100 rules of running" book. Basically it says that all runner should smell their new shoes, its the smell of potential.

And they really do, unwrapping my new runners was a surreal experience, they are not stinky, they are not dusty, muddy or wet.....Yet.

They have the potential to run a marathon, run trails, run parts of triathlons, run with my kids trailing along laughing madly or even run up some bloody big hills.

They will get blood, sweat, rainwater, and muddy water on them. (and countless other fluids and compounds)


There really is a extra ordinate amount of potential in that small cardboard box.


I ran a 15k last weekend and made a route choice that had me hitting some BIG hills. I got thinking about how my body does automatic pace setting during my runs, and this was really evident last night when I ran the "Emma and Toms (fruit juice company) Annual Christmas Run"

If I set out on a long run my body makes me feel sluggish and almost lethargic, its hard to push my pace. However if I am embarking on a 5k then I don't get this feeling, I feel lighter and I feel like I can push forward and maintain a cracking pace. (Cracking for me not for a more naturally gifted runner with long legs and a lower body fat %)

Its a strange phenomenon that my mind is making my muscles reserve some energy so they can last what I have decided my distance is going to be, but its very real.

I can't however decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. This means that I will have to break down the mental barrier in order to go out hard in the first part of a race and cruise through the last part.

Anyway despite the heat and lack of shade I still managed to PB the 5k last night at 25:32 which I am really happy with. Average of 5:06m/k

No comments:

Post a Comment