Globe

Monday, February 28, 2011

Applied learnings

I recently had to sit an exam for a work related industry certification I have been working on for about 3 years now.


This particular exam was my nemesis. I sat it for the first time about 2 years ago and failed. I then decided in a moment of stupidity to book and sit it the next day.


So how does this fit in my running blog?


I don't think I have ever experienced a pressure wave of anxiety like I did in the build up to this exam. Physically shaking and feeling nausea the night before. But I had a secret weapon, my learnings from running.


Prior to running in an event there are certain concerns that cross my mind like what if I can't cover the distance, what if I get an injury and have to bail out, and worst of all (and most consistently) what if I come dead last.


I would not say that I have ever really suffered anxiety issues, as I always try to be pragmatic when it comes to expectations. But on occasion we lose site of what we are capable as our sub-conscious tells us how we will fail...even though we are more than capable of success.


Recently I have been overwhelmed with the feeling that I am loosing touch with my inner runner. I don't feel like I am filled with passion for running any more, and that everything else seems to get in the way of training runs. 


When I step back and look at what is going on around me at the moment, it seems that my life is so full that running is getting squeezed out. I need to take stock and prioritize my activities to include running again, as the reduction in K's has resulted in an increase in stress related symptoms. I have started biting my lip again, I am getting sores on my scalp again, and I am getting pissed off at work a lot more than I have in a long time.


The longest run I have logged this yeah is 10K. I need to start bumping up my K's, I need to focus on my goals, and I need to get passionate again about running.


Its 8 months until Melbourne Marathon and I want to be ready, I want to succeed, I want my family to be proud of me.

3 comments:

  1. And you will do it well. I so get what you're saying here. Get back on track - says she who's finally starting to run again - and oh it feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I reckon bailing is more humiliating than coming last. Bailing with an injury is fine. Coming last and trying is far more betterer than giving up.

    ReplyDelete