Globe

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Change of plans

So it seems that my marathon training has not gone as well as I would have liked. By this stage I was hoping to be up to running 30k runs every weekend, and keeping up my 20ks during the week. I don't see this as a failure on my part, its simply because life has gotten in the way of running, which happens.


I still plan on running the 42k, I have just abandoned the concept of doing it in a certain time. I would like to achieve a 4:30hrs marathon, but at the end of the day if I can take 10 minutes of last years time and get in under 5 hours I will be stoked.


So I have 6 training weekends to get sorted out to cover the 42ks. The plan is to run long runs every second weekend (30ks) and 21k runs every other weekend, in addition I plan to keep up the 2x10k runs during lunch breaks up until the Tuesday before the marathon.


I guess deep down there is an element of disappointment in having to change my goals but at the end of the day with everything else on my plate its just not realistic to try and run the k's I need to in order to break the 4 hour mark.


Perhaps next year? who knows?


On that note I am considering a change of goals for the first half of this year and the remainder after the marathon, I am thinking that focusing on the 21k distance could be good for a bit, get really quick over that distance, and try and get my comfortable average pace down to 5/min K's. At the moment I can sustain 5:30min/ks for most of the 21k runs.


This would also feed into bettering my 10k and 5k times, which I would like to get to sub 50mins, and closer to 20 mins respectively.


Anyway I still have 6 weeks of training and 7 weeks till the marathon so anything is possible in that time.


Until then I will keep putting foot in front of foot and clock up as many K's as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment