Globe

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Some days I just need to run....some days I don't

Today I needed to run, so I ran, and felt better for it.

Sunday however was not a day to run. I woke up in the morning and decided that I needed to be a runner today, I needed to get my gear on and get out the door for a 5k. This was much easier in my mind than the physical activity of running.

I struggled from the start, my right Achilles was hurting for the first k or so, then about 1.6k in the dog needed to wee, I stopped for a drink around 2.5k and decided this was not going to be a high performance run, it was going to be a run because I wanted to be a runner that day, and I had managed to push back all the excuses not to run, and I took the first steps so it was important to take the last steps.

The result of that run was not good compared to the time of last Fridays run but I did feel better for getting our there. 

Seeing the positive impact that me going for a run has on my kids is always a plus and they both want to go for a run with me when I get back and cool down a little. On Sunday this turned into a scooter/bike ride and playing at the park, but it was fun and good for them all the same.

Todays run was a stark contrast to Sunday. I was feeling a little tight in my right hammy all morning but decided that I would get out there anyway and see how it felt. From the get go I felt good. not just the satisfaction of being out and doing something about my issues, but rather the fact that not once did a reason not to run today surface. It was always going to be today, I had my gear, I put it on, and I got out the door.

I ran 5k non stop and did it under 29 mins, my best performance yet, there were a few times I wanted to stop and walk, catch my breath or stretch but it was such a cop out, that I just pushed on.

My time investment in running is paying off I am starting to feel holistically better for it, I want to be running and the excuses are not surfacing at the moment,

Just gotta keep riding the motivation train.

No comments:

Post a Comment