Globe

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

4 Days 22 Hours

The ticking clock on the Melbourne marathon page says I have 4 days and 22 hours left to endure before the start of the race.


The tapering period has a surreal calm before the storm feel that has me looking inward with intensity I'm not familiar with.


Why the hell would anyone want to set a challenge like running a marathon, I mean really....I know Monday I will understand this better but at the moment, its like saying I'm going to swim  so far I drown. I know I will hit the wall during the marathon and it concerns me that I am not equipped to deal with this mentally.


This challenge has been of concern for me for some time and knowing that its coming has me a little worried.


Its funny how people react when you tell them you are running a marathon. There seems to be 2 responses:
1. Ahhh you will be right you do lots of running yeah?
2. Whats your hydration/fuel/starting/pace strategy


No points for guessing which group of people which response comes from. Its amazing how easily non-runners will talk down running 42.195Km like its something that anyone could easily do. But then again I guess its just the socially acceptable response to something that someone doesn't really understand. Strangely enough its got all the hallmarks of the hollow support I got when studying for my Industry certification exams.


Anyway I'm grateful that my friends have noticed that I'm borderline basket case this week.


4 Days and 22 hours to go.....then the suffering really starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment