Globe

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crunch Time

I got an email from my running idol this morning and the first line was "Well Daniel Its Crunch time"


He then went on to discuss his recent success in ultra marathons and point out that this is the first step to something bigger.


The idea of ultra's has always appealed to me. I mean how awesome it would be to run in state of total exhaustion for a whole weekend to have covered off 100km.


This overly introspective week had me thinking of what my next challenges will be, and also reflecting on the fact yet again that a little over a year ago I ran my first 5k. In less than 5 days I will be running my first 42K.


So what is next. There is the BRW triathlon in Feb which I have registered my interest with. There are countless 5 & 10k events over the next few months, and then any number of marathons domestically and in NZ that I would like to do.


Realistically I think its time to get serious and really committed to discovering what my body can do. I think it will be a case of focus on the swimming and cycling to get prepared for the BRW, and to let my ankle finish healing, and really work hard to become generally fitter, rather than just run fit.


It is crunch time, and as the non-runners say "I can do it" but that doesn't stop the echoes of doubt bouncing around my head almost constantly, and it certainly doesn't help me sleep at night as I found last night.

1 comment:

  1. Our mutual friend is pretty inspiring - but I give you a meditation as you are about to go to sleep - imagine yourself in your stride - running comfortably, there is no pain, there is no effort, you just run happily, comfortably, safely, and you keep going. There is no time on this, there is no distance on this - you just run. And it is fantastic. Keep this in your head.

    You can do this.

    ReplyDelete