Globe

Friday, October 22, 2010

Hot in the city

Yesterday at lunch time I ran an easy 5k. However it knocked me around because in no way was I prepared for how hot it was.


It probably was about 20 something degrees but it was enough to knock me around.


Usually after a run it takes 10-15 minutes to cool down but yesterday much to the concern of my colleagues it took about an hour.


Unfortunately when I walked back into the office it was time to go straight into a meeting where I sat sweating and stinking to high heaven for an hour.


One colleague commented after that he could smell me wafting from across the room to which I think he was taking the piss out of me but never mind.


Its good to work somewhere that I can run at lunch time. yesterdays events got me reflecting on when I started to run, and more importantly the person I was before.


Pre-running me used to spend the whole day angry, I would get in to work in the morning and read emails that would piss me off, I would have meetings with people that would piss me off and I would go home pissed off with the world.


Post running me has learned that everyone works differently. For example try going for a run with someone you know. There is a very minute chance that both of you will work at the same level, chances are one person needs to slow down so you can run together. This was one of the first things that I realized when we started to run at lunch time as a group. People would get scared that they would be left behind or have to leave behind the group.


To overcome this an invitation to run with the group was always accompanied with a disclaimer "we start together, we finish together but everyone runs at their own pace" 


It was good to run with other people when I started as there is very few things as motivating to run as the feeling that you are letting someone else down. Now that I have run as much as I have, I have discovered that its a trap to rely on other people to motivate you to run. 


Especially on the weekend. Getting out of bed at 6am on a cold Sunday morning to run a 21k training run is HARD. No one is waiting to meet you, no one is going to tell you to run. It all comes down to you to get your ass out there and put one foot in front of the other.


I guess the moral here is that tolerance only can be achieved once you realize that everyone will do things their own way. The less-angry me knows that people will work in their own way. The less-angry me needs to get rid of the adrenaline from other peoples "own way" of doing things  and the best way to do this is to run at lunch time.

No comments:

Post a Comment