Globe

Monday, October 4, 2010

6 Days out

For the first time in my life I am shitting my pants about something in ways I never expected.  

1 year ago I started running because I wanted to be able to run. When I made that decision I didn't realise what that actually meant. 

In 6 days I will be running the Melbourne marathon, 42.195Km it was a little over a year ago that I ran my first event and first 5k run (the Yarra valley grape run). 

If you feel out of control, or believe deep down that you don't really know yourself, then my advise is run you will discover that you can achieve things that seem impossible to the casual observer, but everyone is capable of. 

So after 1 year of preparation why am I nervous. Because I know I have to do this, its the culmination of every step that I have taken, every drop of sweat that I have dripped, the blood thats been shed and the pain thats been a constant reminder that if I don't to this I would not be the parent that I am, the husband I am, and even the employee that I am. I would be the person I used to be, and I'm not so sure I like him much anymore.


Some of the advice I have been given for the race day:
- Eat the marathon 1 step at a time - Check (This is how I run)
- Have a Hydration and Fuel plan - Check (gels every 8k seems to be the current plan)
- You can do it - Check (I can do it, how long it takes doesn't matter)

1 comment:

  1. You're gonna be fine - as you say, one step at a time. Rather envious as this was supposed to be my first marathon (well the following week it was)

    you'll be great.

    ReplyDelete